What is the Urban Camp Program
Urban Camp is a program offered in partnership with the Saskatoon Correctional Centre. Individuals serving time at the Saskatoon Correction Centre, who meet the set criteria, can take part in the Urban Camp program. These individuals are divided into crews and work throughout our community.
Supervised inmates from the Correctional Centre provide:
- yard cleaning services in the fall and spring
- snow clearing during the winter months (within 72 hours). Front sidewalk, walk to door and driveway. Note: Crews MAY do more if requested and time permits.
Application form is here: URBAN CAMP APPLICATION FORM 2018
Urban Camp Services
- Crews rake your yard and bag leaves and debris in the fall and spring
- Crews shovel walks, driveways and city sidewalks
- Service within 72 hours for an average snowfall (NB: if you need service sooner please check our other Snow Services page). It could take up to 5 days for a heavy snowfall
A flat fee for the season — no hourly fee charged
- $150—Net income over $70,000 for household (includes $10 membership in SSFS)
- $130—Net income less than $70,000 for household (includes $10 membership in SSFS)
Note: Workers are not permitted to accept any monetary payment, however, treats such as cookies, pop, hot chocolate etc. are acceptable
Important Program Details
- Crews ONLY work from Monday to Friday and follow a pre-set route. They have no ability to deviate from these days or this route. Thus this program is not be suitable for persons with time-specific needs. Participants must be patient and understanding of the crews and the services they provide.
- Service within 72 hours (3 days) for an average snowfall. It could take up to 5 days for a heavy snowfall. If you need timely service or have specific requests , we would advise that you sign up for our fee-based yard and/or snow shovelling program.
- Crews will wait until a snow storm has passed AND crews do not provide service in extremely cold conditions.
- Crews do not clear areas not imperative for use during winter months (e.g. patios).
- Crews shovel snow to the nearest appropriate location.
- Crews cannot clean eaves troughs nor can they clean a yard with feces.
- Crews are unable to enter yards with animals at large.
- Crews bag yard waste and place in a spot at the back of your yard. Crews do not take bags away.(Please advise Saskatoon Services for Seniors if you need your bags hauled. We will make arrangements for a fee).
Note: we can not clear yards for snowbirds due to insurance issues. Please consider using our fee-based Saskatoon Services for Seniors Snow Shoveling Service or SnowBird Service.
Is based on income and is limited to 250 registrants.
The program registration opens April 1 and registration will remain open until the program is full (usually September). .
Application MUST be accompanied by your cheque and a copy of your most recent household Notice of Assessment (no older than the prior year) from Canada Revenue Agency or application will not be considered for the program.
NSF cheque will result in a $30 fee assessed.
If you are interested in obtaining more information, contact us at 306-668-2762 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org